On Sundays I love to make my husband a hot breakfast. This one was adapted from a Taste of Home sausage casserole recipe. My husband loves mexican dishes so I decided to add some salsa to this dish for a change. If you don’t have salsa verde use your favorite standard salsa.
Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread ( I use the heels of the bread, often place them in the freezer as we go through the bread & toast them right before cutting them up for this dish)**** if you are trying to make this dish light you can use light bread (35 kcals a slice)
- 4 links or patties breakfast pork sausage (Or morning star vegetarian sausage)
- 1/2 cup shredded mexican blend cheese ( I love aldi’s fit and active)
- 1/4 cup of Salsa Verde (we like Guy’s)
- 3 eggs (or 3/4 cup of egg substitute)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Badia Fajita Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Toast bread lightly cut bread into 1-in. cubes.
Place in a cooking sprayed 8-in. square baking dish.
In a small skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
Cube the sausage and sprinkle the sausage and cheese over bread cubes.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs or egg substitute, milk, salsa, fajita seasoning, salt and pepper.Pour over the sausage and cheese.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Yield: 4 servings.