My grandpa gave us lots of pears last time we were back home for a visit. I have been trying my best to eat them all before they go bad. But it has been difficult with all the good produce in season.
We are having a fall dinner tomorrow and I think this will be the perfect finish to our menu. I have always wanted to make an upside- down cake with pears and since I have plenty on hand I thought there is no better time then now.
1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 pears (peeled. sliced, and cored)
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup egg whites or egg substitute
1/3 cup Maple syrup
1 Tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven 350.
2. Line a 9″ round cake pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
2. Place flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger in a bowl and mix.
3. In a separate bowl mix sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and egg whites.
4. Add flour mix and buttermilk alternating the two and mixing after each addition.
5. In small sauce pan over medium heat warm maple syrup until thick about 2 to 4 minutes.
6. Spread the pears evenly on the parchment paper.
7. Once the maple syrup has thickened pour over the sliced pears.
8. Now pour batter over pears.
9. Bake on 350 for 23-25 minutes.
10. Let cool on wire rack for 5 minutes and remove from pan