Everyone knows I love Penzey’s Spices! I received their quarterly catalog, Winter 2014, last week. I always at least make 2 to 3 recipes out of the magazine. I’m never disappointed! This beer bread recipe is on page 25 or on Penzey’s website. I decreased the butter amount significantly! Yikes the original was a little out of line with using 1/2 a stick.
3 cups of AP Flour
1 1/2 TB kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 TB sugar
1/2 tsp dried Basil
1 12 oz bottle of light beer (room temperature)
2 TB melted butter
1/4 tsp ground granulated garlic powder
Makes 12 slices of bread
Preheat oven to 350 degree and spray with cooking spray a 5 by 9″ bread pan.
2. Place in large bowl flour, salt, baking soda, Basil, and sugar.
3. Mix together using spatula. Add beer.
4. Mix together to incorporate dry and wet ingredients. Be careful not to over mix.
5. Add wet batter to cooking sprayed bread pan.
6. Bake for an hour to an hour in 5 minutes.
7. Set bread in pan on wire rack. And take butter in a small dish and melt in microwave mix garlic in. Brush garlic butter on warm bread. Add as much or as little as you would like
Let cool and cut into slices.