I love making lasagna ! But when I cook it is usually just for 2. So making a large lasagna only happens with a party or gathering. But since I like to bake lasagna I’ve found an alternative option. The secret to smaller batches is utilizing a bread loaf pan. Generally an 8.5 inch pan will work for this dish.
1 & 1/3 cup shredded lite mozzarella or fat free
1 cup fat free ricotta
1/4 cup of egg substitute
4 whole wheat lasagna noodles ( I purchase the kind that cook white to trick the non whole wheat critics) *** (dreamfield, Ronzoni Smart taste, Barella white fiber) ***
3 cups of fresh spinach
1 jar 15 oz lite Alfredo
1/2 cup chopped button mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
1 tsp pasta sprinkle (or italian seasoning)
Cracked Fresh pepper
Salt to taste
1. Cook pasta according to box & preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In meantime in a small bowl combine egg substitute, ricotta, pasta sprinkle and Parmesan; set aside.
3. Spray pan with cooking spray. On medium heat sauté garlic, spinach and mushrooms. Once spinach wilts remove from heat and set aside.
4. Spray the loaf pan with Pam.
5. Spread 1/3 cup sauce on bottom of the pan. Lay noodle (cut to fit the pan) on bottom place reserve noodle on side. We don’t waste food in my kitchen.
6. Spread 1/3 cup of sauce over noodles evenly.
7. Spread 1/3 cup of the egg cheese mixture over the sauce.
8. Sprinkle some sautéed veggies over the cheese spread.
9. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the mozzarella
10. Repeat layers twice.
11. Top with remaing noodle. On top of last noodle spread 1/3 cup Alfredo sauce and remaining mozzarella. I like to grate with an extra bit of Parmesan on the top too.
12. Bake for 30 minutes on 400 degrees.
13. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes
Serves 3 to 4 serving.