I thought about making banana muffins and then it hit me why not make some banana scones. I had a few really ripe bananas and decided I needed to use them fast (or freeze them but where is the fun in that?). This is a very fast breakfast treat and perfect for the weekend !
This recipe yields 16 scones using a # 16 scoop.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cup ap flour
1/3 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 TB baking powder
2 TB coconut oil
2 TB canola oil
Pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp pure vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
3 small bananas (1 heaping cup mashed)
1. Whisk in a large bowl both flours, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, and sugar.
2. Add to the flour mix the coconut oil and using hands cut the coconut oil into the flour until evenly distributed. Almost like wet sand. Set aside.
3. In a separate small bowl mix together canola oil, milk, vanilla, and egg.
4. Add the wet batter into the dry ingredients and mix with wooden spoon. Batter will appear dry but not for long. Fold in mashed bananas. Mix until no dry residue remains. Be careful not to over mix.
5. Use a # 16 scoop to portion out on parchment paper lined 1/2 sheet baking pan. Place 6 to a pan.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 14 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
7. Remove the scones from pan right away and allow to cool on wire rack or serve warm.
Pictures below for steps: