We have oodles of rhubarb and I have been very antsy to try a whole pie made of rhubarb. This was a home run. I made it for my husband’s Grammy. She just moved into a new house and I wanted to make it as a house warming gift. Plus I found out it was also her birthday! She told me once when she was a child her mother would make her rhurbarb pie and it was her favorite. She always makes everyone pie but she never makes her favorite so this one is for you Grammy Ulam!
5 cups of chopped frozen rhubarb thawed
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
3 TB flour
1 tsp quick tapioca
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1-2 TB skim milk
1 TB unsalted butter
Pie crust for a double crust 9 inch pie (either use your favorite or try this one)
I used joy of baking crust and it was a good recipe for this pie. I like that it weighed everything out.
1. If you are using frozen rhubarb thaw it in a colander and allow for excess water to drain. Once excess water has been removed place rhubarb in sugar, cinnamon, tapioca, flour mixture and mix to incorporate.
2. Allow the rhubarb to set for 15 minutes in sugar spice bath. Add in egg and mix to incorporate. In meantime preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Place prepared pie crust in pie dish. Pour rhubarb mixture in prepared pie dish.
4. Cut pieces of butter and spread evenly on top of rhubarb. Cover pie with second pie dough.
6. Trim and seal dough as you wish. Make sure to cut slits in dough to allow steam to release. Lightly brush pie with milk.
7. Bake pie at 400 degrees for 15 minutes and then decease the tempature to 350 degrees and bake for 45 to 50 additional minutes. Or until crust is golden brown and filling starts to bubble.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack.