Homemade biscuits are very quick and easy! These are super special because the honey used in them was harvested by my husband’s good friends parents. They go perfectly with applebutter or pumpkin butter and also biscuits and gravy.
Biscuits and gravy are one of my family’s favorite breakfasts so that is what we had them with today.
This recipe yields 15 biscuits
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup vegetable shortening or coconut oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a half sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl sift flour, salt, and baking powder. Add shortening. Cut the shortening in to flour with pastry cutter or two knives.
3. In a small vessel mix honey, buttermilk and egg.
4. Pour liquid minute into the dry ingredients. This will be a very sticky dough.
5. Place dough on well floured pastry mat (this just makes for way clean up). Roll out to 3/4 inch thick. I made mine thinner to yield more biscuits.
6. Cut biscuits with either a glass drinking cup or I found a beautiful gem of a biscuit cutter at an antique store (as pictured).
7. Place biscuits spread evenly on a loner half sheet pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Or slightly cool before adding your favorite topping…. Applebutter, jam, honey or biscuits and gravy.