Lucy is my 17 week old English Blockhead Lab. Before I ventured back to Pa my boss in NC made Lucy treats for the road trip. She loved them! My boss was kind enough to share her recipes with me. I believe this is a combination of Gunther’s Blend, her Schnauzer.
I compiled a few recipes into one. Once these are devoured I will make another batch and post.
These have to sit overnight in the oven and Lucy girl knew it and wouldn’t stop barking at the oven.
3 cups of whole wheat flour
1 cup Oat brand
1 1/3 cup Corn Meal
1 cup natural crunchy peanut butter
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup skim milk
3 eggs, separated (one is for the egg wash)
Canola oil (optional for soften up the dough)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Parchment paper line two half sheet cookie sheets. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix together first three ingredients (all the grains). Set aside.
3. Place the peanut butter in a medium bowl microwave for 30 seconds stir and repeat once more. Add the milk and chicken stock to the melted peanut butter. Lightly beat two of the eggs in small dish and add to the liquid ingredients and whisk together.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry using a spatula mix until no dry residue remains. Cover with bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
5. Once the dough has rested lay a few hand fills of the dough on pastry mat or lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into 1/4 inch thickeness and cut the biscuits out. Now I did add a teaspoon or two of the oil on my hands and worked it into the dough. The dough is dry. I added it to prevent cracking.
6: Place the cut outs on the prepared baking dish. I was able to fit 45 per sheet pan using a 1 1/2 inch mini bone cut out. You can use any shape you want. The local dog bakery here in town uses circles. I found one antique cut-out in the shape of a bunny I’ll use next time.
7. Before placing in the oven brush with egg wash. The thicker you cut them the longer they need to bake. I went on the thicker side and baked mine for 20-23 minutes.
8. Let the cookies dry on a drying rack. Once completely cooled and oven cooled as well place the biscuits back on the baking sheet and let dry out over night in oven.
9. Next day place in airtight container and share with fur friends.