There is just something about chicken noodle soup that cures just about anything. It seems like with the change of seasons among us, several people are catching a cold or their allergies are in full swing. I prepared this remedy for a sick friend. It is a very simple recipe and nothing says get well like a homemade dish.
Recipe yields: approximately 3 quarts, 8-10 Servings
1 Table canola oil
2 large celery stalks, finely chopped
1 extra large (2 inches in diameter) carrot, finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 # (uncooked) Lemon chicken breast (cooked), coarsely chopped (yields about 2 1/2 cups) (RECIPE BELOW)
10 cups water
7 teaspoons Penzeys chicken base
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon pasta sprinkle
3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
3 cups of dry egg noodles
- On medium to high heat, prepare a 6 to 8 quart stock pot.
- Once the vessel is ready, add the canola oil to the pan. Add the carrots, celery & onion. Allow the ingredients to cook for 5-7 minutes. Stir often.
- In the meantime prepare the base, boil the 10 cups of water and add the base and stir vigerously with whisk to blend until no signs any clumpy residue.
- After the vegetables have softened.Add the prepared base along with pasta sprinkle and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add the egg noodles and cook for 12 minutes. After the time has elapsed add chicken and fresh parsley. Heat the meat through and enjoy.
Tip: I prepared the chicken a day in advance.
1# (thawed) Chicken Breast (about 2 breasts)
1/2 fresh lemon (juiced)
1 teaspoonGarlic Salt (freshly ground)
1 teaspoon Pasta Sprinkle (Italian seasoning from penzeys)
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Take a large piece of foil and spread out on the counter. Place the chicken breasts on the foil. Sprinkle evenly both sides of the breast with the pasta sprinkle and garlic salt. Add the butter and juice of the 1/2 lemon. Fold the chicken in the foil and crimp to seal. Place the foil packet in the prepared oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until temperature of the chicken yields 165 degrees.