It’s that time of year … Girl Scouts everywhere are selling their cookies! In honor of the all Girl Scouts past and present. Not to mention being a former Girl Scout myself. Oh yes troup 454! I decided to create a play off of one of the beloved flavors the thin mint. Also my husbands favorite (preferably frozen). I thought I would try a biscotti! Anything to go with a good cup of coffee.
Yields 14 large Biscotti
1 cup raw sugar
1 cup Ap flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
1 cup chopped Andes mints
6 TB unsalted butter softened
1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa (I love penzeys)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirdelli )
2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp pure mint extract ( I used Watkins)
- On medium speed cream the sugar & the butter with paddle attachment.
- Add one egg at a time and incorporate on low speed. Add vanilla & Mix to blend.
- In a separate bowl mix together Cocoa, flours, salt, & baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet until fully incorporated (batter will be dry)
- Fold in chopped Andes mints
- Form a 12″ x 4″ log on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove the biscotti log from oven. Allow to cool for five minutes on pan. Remove log from sheet pan using parchment paper.
- Place on cuting board and cut the log into 3/4 inch pieces.
- Line pieces sideways back onto parchment lined pan and bake for eight minutes. Remove from oven.
- Flip and bake for an additional eight minutes.
- Allow biscotti to cool before dipping.
- In a long microwave safe bowl (I used my fiestaware bread pan) melt Chocolate chips by microwaving in 30 second intervals until all chocolate is melted and no lumps remain. Once all the chocolate is melted add the mint extract and coconut oil stir with spatua to dissolve. Once you reach the desired constancy for dipping start dunking the biscotti as you wish. Set to dry on parchment paper.