Since we are renting until our home sells. We don’t have our usual refrigerator & freezer space (which is killing me softly but I have to remind myself it is short term). I was organizing the freezer and came across my stock pile of leftover bread heels. I have a hard time throwing food away in general, which has leads me to be even more resourceful than usual with only one refrigerator. For years I have been up-recycling bread heels to make either my own bread crumbs, casseroles, or croutons.
You can save money by throwing the heels into a large freezer bag every time you finish a loaf. Once I get a good amount, I figure out a way to incorporate them into a dish to free up freezer space. Today I thought what better way to start off the day with French toast… well French Toasttins
Yields: 9 French Toasttins
1 TB pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground Vietnamese Cinnamon
1 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon raw sugar
10 slices of light whole grain bread heels (35-45 calories a slice), cubed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cooking spray 9 muffin vessels in muffin tin. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the first 5 ingredients.
3. Toss in the cubed bread. Fold with rubber spatula. Make sure the bread soaks up all the liquid.
4. Take an 1/3 cup measuring device and portion out a heaping amount of the bread batter into prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Place in center rack in oven.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy as is or additional maple syrup or sprinkle with powdered sugar.