Bacon and Cheddar Popovers!
One of my husband’s favorite meats is bacon or anything pork related. For Christmas he even received a shirt that has a pig on it and the T-Shirt says “I like PIG butts and I cannot lie”. Hilarious ! These popovers can be very versatile. If you don’t like the bacon & cheddar cheese combo, you can use your favorite breakfast topping like ham or sausage or even pepperoni and mozzarella cheese. Or if you want to make them vegetarian (like me) you could use feta cheese and sun dried tomatoes.
This recipe yields 8 popovers
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Generously cooking spray the popover pan
- Fill 4 of the tins with water about 3/4s full
- Popover pan or muffin tin
- Measuring cup with spout
1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
2 large eggs (whisked lightly)
1/4 tsp of Ruth Ann’s Muskego Ave Chicken & Fish Seasoning (Penzey’s Spices) (optional)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup of skim milk
3 slices of bacon (already cooked & diced)
8 tsp of shredded 2% cheddar cheese ( you can find this at Aldi’s)
- Mix together in a medium to large bowl the flour, salt, and Ruth Ann’s seasoning.
- Add in the milk and whisked eggs, whisk the batter to incorporate ingredients together fully.
- Pull the batter in 8 of the 12 vessels using a measuring cup with a spout filling the tins about 2/3s full.
- Top each popover with 1 TB of diced bacon and 1 tsp of cheddar.
- Place the popovers in the preheated oven at 450 degrees for 15 minute ( no peaking). Peaking with allow steam to remove and that is what create the beautiful popover shape.
- Once time has elapsed decrease temperature to 350 degrees and place the timer on for an additional 15 minutes or until popovers are a deep golden brown. Please make sure not to under bake the popovers.
- Place the popover pan on a wire rack to cool slightly prior to taking the popovers out of tins.