We traveled back to Pennsylivanna recently, and I was rummaging through the kitchen trying to find a dish to prepare for breakfast. Low and behold, I found a frozen homemade pizza dough in the deep freezer at the house. I always try and make a double or triple batch to keep on hand in case of an emergency.
As we continue down the journey of relocating, I press on at trying to be resourceful with staple pantry items. I have been utizling several of my stowed away items from one of our three freezers for it seems like months. Now if we were in the middle of blizzard we would be safe and never hungry! However, since we are moving I have found it a challenge but the good news is we just cleared an entree refrigerator/freezer combo out completely and it is up for grabs.
Nevertheless, I sure felt lucky to be back in my kitchen, and bake breakfast for my hubby. As far as I am concerned apartment baking leaves little to be desired. I am looking forward to a spacious kitchen.
Recipe yields: 4 Servings
1 pound of homemade pizza dough, if frozen allow to completely thaw
1/2 pound fully cooked breakfast sausage
3 eggs, scrambled seasoned with kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon of salt free garden blend seasoning
1 tablespoon dried Parsley
1/2 cup shredder 2 % cheese monterey jack
Scant olive oil, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place parchment paper down on a half sheet baking pan. Set aside.
2. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface into a rectanglar shape. Scatter the sausage evenly on the dough.
3. Layer the scrambled eggs on top of the sausage. Next, add the cheese evenly on the top of the eggs and generously sprinkle the dried parsley & salt free seasoning on top of
4. Take the longer side of the rectangle, start to roll up the dough (like a cinnamon roll). Continue to roll and tuck the seal on the bottom side.
5. Seal the ends of the Stromboli, and fold them under the dough. Lastly at an angle cut with a sharp knife a few steam slots to allow for thorough baking. Place the dough
(seal down) on parchment paper lined sheet pan. Brush with olive oil.
6. Place the Stromboli in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool slightly before slicing into.