We rarely use a frier but there are some days when you crave a memory and the only way to take you to that special taste is recreating it at home. My husband’s aunt and uncle brought us Cafe Du Monde Beignet mix for Christmas last year. I was cleaning out the cabinet and came across the box and decided to make some beignets for breakfast for old time sake. I still can remember when we went to Cafe Du Monde for the first time. I can remember breathing in the powdered sugar.
The coffee is so delicious there. The special ingredient in Cafe Du Monde coffee is chickory. I add their chickory to every pot of coffee we brew. This batch of beignets goes really well with a hot cup of chickory infused Joe!
I can never leave well enough alone and I thought I’d add some fall flavor to this classic mix. We have pumpkin in abuncance and thought this would do the trick to add some fall flare.
Servings 12 (24 beignets)
2 cups of dry cafe du monde beignet mix
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup buttermilk
4 Tablespoons pumpkin purée
Canola oil for frying
Cinnamon & sugar blend (optional) [ usually 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon]
1. Start the oil for beignets and prepare the temperature to 370 degrees by either a electric fryer or using a candy thermometer in a deep skillet. If using a skillet place 1-2 inches deep of oil.
2. While the oil heats. Place the beignet mix and pumpkin spice in a medium bowl and whisk. Add in the buttermilk and puréed pumpkin using a silicone spatula fold ingredients together.
3. Prepare a lightly floured surface and roll the dough out to an 1/8 thickeness and evenly cut the dough into 24 pieces.
4. In 1 to 2 inches of prepared oil, fry the beignets for 8-10 seconds until puffy and golden brown. Make sure to bast continuously. Once beignets are to desired color and pillow shape. Remove from frier and place on wire rack with paper towels below rack and allow excess oil to drip off. Allow to cool slightly.
5. In the meantime; in a paper brown bag place the cinnamon and sugar blend. Give the bag a good few shakes. Add a few donuts at a time and shake to coat the beignets.
6. Remove the Beignets from the brown bag & Enjoy !