Apple Cider is a highly anticipated seasonal beverage in our household and an assist to many fall home cooked dishes. I can find a way to add it to just about anything. Whether the recipe be a sweet baked good or savory dinner dish.
A breakfast of donuts must be one of my husband’s favorite morning treats. He also loves fresh cider. This breakfast donut combines the two for a satisfing starter for the fall weekend.
This recipe yields: 14 Donuts using the Wilton Donut baking dish
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 9-10 minutes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and generously spray baking pan with cooking cooking, set aside.
2 cups whole wheat pastry
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 kosher salt
1/2 cup apple cider reduction (directions below)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon of canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
Apple Pie Spice Sugar, recipe below
Apple cider reduction ingredients:
1 1/4 cup 100% apple cider
1 (3 inch) cinnamon stick)
Directions for reduction:
1. Place apple cider, cinnamon stick in a 1 quart sauce pan and place on low to medium heat for 30 minutes until product yields 1/2 cup reduction. Discard the cinnamon stick.
Apple Pie Spice Sugar:
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of apple pie spice
1. Place the sugar and apple pie spice in a shallow container and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
1. Place the first 5 ingredients into a medium bowl. Whisk together thoroughly & set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix the cider reduction, sugars, vanilla, canola oil, and buttermilk. Lastly add in the egg & mix.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet. Mix enough to wet all ingredients; however, caution not over mix.
4. Place the batter into a piping bag with large round tip. Portion out the batter evenly into the donut pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 9-10 minutes.
6. Allow Donuts to rest in pan for 1-2 minutes before inverting the pan and placing the on wire rack.
7. Dip the warm Donuts into the apple pie spice sugar bath. If the sugar dust does not want to stick spray the Donuts with some cooking spray prior to dipping. Dip both sides of the donut.
*Tip the Donuts taste the best the day they are made. Make sure to store in a sealable container.