My hubby loves cashews, last night we made ginger cashew chicken and we had some leftover cashews. I have been wanting to try cashews in a bar for a while now. He will be heading back to the burgh in a few a days so I thought I make these for him to snack on during his commute. Hopefully they will hold him over so he doesn’t have to make too many stops at Sheetz. 🙈
This recipe yields 12 bars
1 1/2 cups raw whole cashews, unsalted (divided); chop roughly
2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
2 Tablespoons hemp seeds
3 Tablespoons canola oil
2 Tablespoons milled flaxseed
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground Vietnamese Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries, low sugar
1/3 cup Dark Chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli), optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take a glass 8 by 8 baking dish and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
1. Place 1/2 cup of the cashews and all the oats and hemp seeds on a parchment paper lined 1/2 sheet baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes and toss with wooden spoon and bake for 5-10 more minutes (until oats and cashews turn golden brown).
2. In the meantime place remaining cashews, canola oil and flaxseed in food processor and purée until nut butter consistency. Set mixture aside.
3. While the oats continue to bake, place a 2 quart sauce pan on medium heat, add honey, raw sugar, cinnamon and salt. Allow contents to heat for 4-5 minutes, remove from heat and add cashew butter mixture. Stir to combined.
4. Once the oats have baked to desired golden hue, using parchment paper siphon the baked contents into large glass bowl, add the dried cranberries. Pour warm liquid cashew mixture over oat mixture. Fold all the ingredients together with spatula. Make sure to incorporate all ingredients together until there are no signs of dry residue.
5. Take mixture and press into prepared baking dish. Press flat & even using another piece of parchment paper.
6. Place the dish in the center rack of the oven and bake 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set on wire rack and allow to cool & harden (about an hour). Using the sides of the excess parchment pull out of the pan and set on cutting board and cut into 12 bars. Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds and stir and continue to heat in 30 second intervals, stirs after each interval until smooth.
7. Place the chocolate in a snack size ziplock bag and clip the end of the bag with food sissors and drizzle away.